|"Not My Problem"|
|Previous||Facing the Music|
|Next||Never Be Silent|
This is the 5th episode of Survivor: Portugal.
Previously On Survivor...
Selva tried to regain their spirits when they won the Reward Challenge, but they quickly fell apart when Laurel tried to get Cooper out and Rose tried to get Julianna out after she saw the idol near her bag, when it was really Cooper's. They lost the challenge and the four-person alliance voted out Laurel, 4-2-1.
Reward/Immunity Challenge: Cell Block Sea
Tribes have to race out to a bamboo cage. In the cage underwater is a heavy chest. They have to release the chest and take it back to shore. Once they are on shore, they will have to move the chest along a track and onto a platform by using grappling hooks. The first tribe to do so wins.
Reward: Tribal Immunity, 3 pillows, and a blanket.
Winner: Tribe/person/s who won the challenge
Selva comes back from voting out Laurel, 4-2-1. Rose, after not voting with the majority again, goes to Cooper to see what happened.
- So, why did you vote Laurel?- Rose
- She's dead weight. If Julianna sticks with us to the merge, we have the idol on our side. Laurel tried taking me out, so I couldn't trust her.- Cooper
- I guess, but you have to stick with us again. Please, Lukas and Julianna are going to the end together.- Rose
- Hmmm...- Cooper
|“||She might be not on my side, but she has a point. Julianna is dangerous with Lukas.||”|
The two tribes arrive, Selva without Laurel, as she was voted out.
- Now, I have brought you here for not a challenge.- Jeff
- Wait, what?- Cooper
- Why are we here then?- Skylar
- Because these tribes are no more. A tribe switch is happening.- Jeff
- Wow...- Lukas
- Holy crap.- Carmen
Jeff has each of the contestants pick an egg from the bag. On 3, all the remaining contestants smash their eggs on their bodies with either yellow, for Selva, or purple, for Litoral. The new tribes are as follows:
|The New Selva Tribe|
|The New Litoral Tribe|
Jeff gives out new buffs and tells them to head back to camp as their challenge will be in a couple days.
The new Selva tribe introduces themselves to Brady, Carmen, and Casey as they show them around the camp. Brady and Carmen are elated for their new tribe, while Casey is less than enthusiastic.
|“||I'm on this new tribe, and with my luck, I end up on this new tribe without any of my alliance members. I have talked to Brady and Carmen, but I really hope the Selva tribe has more cracks then we did.||”|
- This is amazing, new tribe, fresh start, we have Casey, and all we need is for one of them to flip to get a majority.- Brady
- Nothing can be better.- Carmen
- Unless they have an idol.- Brady
- Go to hell.- Carmen
- I kid, I kid.- Brady
Dover then comes over to talk to the two people.
- Hello.- Dover
- Hey, Denver, right?- Brady
- Dover.- Dover
- Yeah...why did your parents name you that?- Carmen
- I don't know my parents lived in Delaware, the capital is Dover, so yeah...- Dover
- Well...ok? So, what do you want to talk about?- Brady
- Well, it seems that there is 3 against 3...but I am in the minority.- Dover
- You? Mr. I'm-the-fricking-athlete?- Carmen
- Yeah, I've rubbed some the wrong way, and they might take me out next.- Dover
- Who are you talking about?- Carmen
- Look, there's an alliance between Lukas, Julianna, Cooper, and Ralphie. And Julianna has the idol.- Dover
- You're serious.- Brady
- Yeah, I want Julianna gone.- Dover
- Well, we'll help.- Carmen
Dover leaves and Casey comes in.
Night falls as the new Litoral tribe is relaxing around the fire, telling stories and laughing.
|“||This tribe is amazing, we feel like we can dominate anything. Everyone is so cool with each other, and I know it's only the first night we're with each other, but everything seems chill. The opposite tribe. Not my problem!||”|
- So the girl is completely drunk and can't see straight. I'm working my usual shift, when she comes up and starts flirting with me. I'm like "Cool, whatever."- Cooper
- This doesn't sound interesting...- Joel
- Just wait, it gets better. She tries to climb over the counter when she stumbles and ends up on the floor. To make things worse, she starts throwing up everywhere. So I have a puke sprinkler and no one to help. It was just so hilarious when I think back about it.- Cooper
- That's kinda funny. I've had my running back start puking in the locker room because the locker next to his had a dead rat. That was funny.- Chip
- And now our nice conversation has gone to throw up. I'm gonna lay down.- Lukas
- Ha!- Cooper
- So, what was it like on Selva?- Skylar
- It was fun, we were pretty cool, all we did was get rid of loose weight, as you can see.- Rose
|“||Yeah, I lied. Who cares? They don't need to know our secrets. Well not now.||”|
- So, has anyone found the idol?- Cooper
- For our tribe, I don't think so.- Chip
- Oh, none of us have the idol either.- Cooper
- I believe Julianna got it for our tribe.- Rose
Lukas picks his head up from the shelter, but puts it back down and goes to sleep.
|“||*yawn* Thanks for waking me, by the way. I know Cooper has the idol, and of course we're gonna keep quiet. Rose thinks Julianna has it, so yeah, it's hidden in our possession. Can I go back to sleep?||”|
The tribes fall asleep, waiting the next day.
Dover wakes up in the Selva shelter, but gets up and heads to the beach.
|“||My first couple days haven't been fun. I've somehow been in the minority because of some bartender trying to take the game by storm. He needs to get over himself. I'm glad he's not here anymore. I can't wait to get this game back on my side.||”|
He then heads back to the shelter to tend to the fire, where Casey is.
- Hey, why are you up so early?- Casey
- Just meditation, clearing my mind.- Dover
- What's troubling you?- Casey
- I need to backtrack and get a new strategy because I am destined to not make the final 2 if I go this way.- Dover
- Well, if you're willing to join me, Brady, and Carmen, we'll be glad to help.- Casey
- As long as it gets me farther.- Dover
|“||I might've shot myself in the foot, but hopefully this works out in my favor.||”|
Meanwhile, Julianna and Ralphie are walking through the forest, talking about the next plan of action.
- We need to rope in Brady and Carmen and vote out Dover. He's a threat we need to leave the game.- Julianna
- Yeah, I know but wouldn't it be easier just to take out Casey? We can't really self-destruct our tribe even farther.- Ralphie
- But if he makes the merge, he would flip.- Julianna
- *sigh* Fine, whatever...I want to go back to the shelter to try to at least talk to Brady.- Ralphie
- See ya there.- Julianna
Julianna continues to gather firewood while Ralphie heads back to camp. Ralphie walks onto the Selva beach where Brady is collecting leaves fallen from trees to help the shelter.
- Hey, we need to talk.- Ralphie
- About...- Brady
- Julianna wants Dover gone. I would like Casey gone. I know he is part of your tribe, but you guys don't seem to connect.- Ralphie
- I like this idea about Dover. But Casey can be a good option too. Why does Julianna want him voted out?- Brady
- He doesn't trust him. He's been on the minority, and we don't know if he'll flip against us.- Ralphie
- Why are you telling me this?- Brady
- Because he will replace you in their alliance.- Ralphie
- *pauses*I'll think about it.- Brady
- Okay, please talk to me about it.- Ralphie
Both walk towards the shelter.
|“||He's right. I am at the bottom of Litoral. But I can't cut Dover off if he's gonna flip. It's a very hard decision for me, as I am the swing vote.||”|
At Litoral, everyone is by the shelter, trying to get out of the heat.
|“||As far as we know, it is still Litoral versus Selva. But the switch could have saved me. Right now, Cooper and Lukas are not the top dogs anymore. This is my moment to make a move against them.||”|
While Cooper and Lukas are away, Rose goes up to Chip, Skylar and Joel and starts explains that Cooper and Lukas have been running the show on Selva and she needs to knock them down. The three agree that when they go to the next tribal council, they should vote Cooper off for being controlling.
|“||It seems like Cooper is a threat on the other tribe we need to take out. Selva seems to be a really bad tribe from the start, which we could easily take down. It's just like a rival team, you gotta find their crack and pick at it long enough before you can break through.||”|
Soon Cooper comes back with Lukas, who went off to sit at the beach for awhile. Cooper doesn't know where he left, leaving suspicion between the other tribemates.
|“||No one knows what Lukas does when he leaves. He could be searching or digging idols back up. He's so mysterious you can never see what goes on in his head.||”|
|“||If he has the Litoral idol, our plans can go to smoke. If he has the Selva idol, we're screwed. He's so secret about his actions that no one can trust him.||”|
The two tribes meet for the next Immunity Challenge. The challenge starts and all 6 members from each tribe run out to get their cage unlocked. Skylar holds her tribe back by swimming poorly to the cage. Selva can immediately climb the cage and hop into the water. Skylar gets her tribe back in the challenge by unlocking the cage and the locks, giving them a little lead. The Litoral tribe grabs their chest and is pushing it through the water. The strength of Lukas, Joel, and Chip easily outbeat the Selva tribe as Litoral reaches the track first, with Cooper throwing the grappling hook. As he misses his first throw, Selva is getting the chest on shore. Cooper gets it on and he pulls the first track in place, and they can push the chest forward. Casey starts throwing for Selva, but misses his two shots, and Dover switches to start throwing. Cooper connects his second track, giving a bigger lead for Litoral. Dover gets the first track but it is too late as Cooper gets his third track and they pull the chest through the track and putting in on the platform, winning immunity and reward. After collecting their reward, and immunity idol, they head back to camp, with Selva heading to tribal council.
Back at the Selva camp, Brady is talking to Casey and Carmen, when Dover comes in.
|“||It is time to flush Julianna's idol, I can feel it.||”|
- Do you think we should take Ralphie out tonight?- Brady
- No, he's useless. And he doesn't have an idol.- Dover
- Well, hello to you too.- Carmen
- Sorry, but I'm not kidding, Rose saw it in her bag. And she won't expect anything.- Dover
- Seems good. But what if she plays it?- Casey
- She won't, I'll tell her and Ralphie to vote you or Casey. They have already talked to me about it, but it's not smart for anyone if she does have an idol.- Brady
- Cool, good luck.- Dover
Brady walks over to Julianna and Ralphie and explains that he might have Carmen to vote off Casey, which Julianna is elated about.
|“||Yes, Selva is gonna take over the game! This is gonna be so fun watching his face if he goes.||”|
|“||I really don't know who to vote, and it's gonna be a big tribal tonight.||”|
At Tribal Council, the Selva tribe talks about how life is with new members. Dover says everyone really likes each other and gets along, but adds that this was the place no one wanted to be right now. Jeff asks about the tribal divide, which Casey says that it leads to much scrambling. Ralphie talks about how the other tribe seems really strong, but can easily be beat. As a final thing, Julianna says that no matter what the results, someone is getting blindsided.
All the members vote, and they are tallied. But Brady sticks with his original Litoral members and votes off Julianna. without an idol, snuffing her torch in a 4-2 vote, leaving her and Ralphie blindsided.
|Tribal Council 5:|
Julianna (4 votes)
Brady, Casey, Carmen, Dover
Casey (2 votes)
|“||This vote is strictly karmic retribution.||”|
|“||This will be fun.||”|
|“||Wow...I can't believe they got me, well played. Dover has obviously jumped ship and now will leave Selva behind. That was so stupid of him to do.||”|
Still in the Running
Next Time on Survivor...
- Rose contemplates flipping to Litoral with Dover while Lukas continues to have people question his behavior.
- The challenge comes from the Survivor Caramoan: Fans vs. Favorites episode There's Gonna Be Hell to Pay.
- In the original plan for this season, the only change I could remember is Dover switched to the Litoral tribe and Cooper stayed on Selva.