|"You Need to Have a Brain to be Confused"|
|Previous||I've Got a Few Tricks up my Sleeve|
|Next||Chaos is my Middle Name|
You Need to Have a Brain to be Confused is the fourth episode of Survivor: Guadeloupe.
Previously on Survivor...
After a strange Tribal Council, where Chloe, not Joel, was voted out, Abbie started to get paranoid... Again. This led for Rodger to attempt to convince her into joining up with him and Joel, to vote out Regan. When that didn't work out, Rodger and Joel tried to convince Ida to vote for Abbie. Ida gave them the noncommittal answer of, "Maybe".
Over on Bananier, Taylor did some scheming, and managed to turn the majority alliance of Bananier against each other. After Goyaves won their first challenge, it was pretty much set that Conner would be going home, but Lydia and Beth attempted to shake things up when they tried to send Ruby home. Conner ended up going home in a 7-3 vote.
Seventeen are left, who will be voted out next?
This challenge had two stages.
- In the first stage, the castaways will be attached to a rope that is tangled around three obstacles that they will have to jump and climb through in order to untangle it and make their way to the finish. The first person from each tribe to finish would win individual immunity.
- In the second stage, for reward, the winners from each tribe would face off against each other. The final round's challenge would be the same, but with a single obstacle three levels high. The first castaway to complete the obstacle would win reward for their tribe.
Reward: Pizza and soft drinks to be enjoyed at the other tribe's Tribal Council.
Winners: Rodger (Individual Immunity), Luke (Individual Immunity), Goyaves (Reward)
When Bananier got back from Tribal, the previously calm atmosphere exploded into chaos.
- Guys, what the (bleep) was that?!- Izzy
- We thought Ruby deserved to go, which she did! She does nothing around camp and she's an idiotic, weak person!- Beth
- But we agreed to vote Conner, and get Ruby out next Tribal! Why did you vote for Ruby instead?! You endangered us!- Izzy
- You know what? Shut the (bleep) up, OK?! I'm sick and tired of you thinking that you can control how we vote! We may be in an alliance, but that doesn't mean that we're super-glued to it!- Beth
- Don't tell me to shut up, you (bleep) traitor!- Izzy
- I can say whatever I want, so shut up, you (bleep)!- Beth
Luke tries to separate the two bickering females to keep the argument from further escalating. Instead of stepping in, Lydia is huddled in the shelter, tears silently running down her face.
|“||(Tearfully) As a little kid, I always hated arguments, because my parents would have them all the time before they got divorced. Maybe it's just me, but I get a little emotional when I'm in a situation where I may need to pick sides, or where anyone argues.||”|
Taylor notices Lydia and goes to check on her.
- You OK?- Taylor
- No. I hate it when people fight, and I also think I just screwed up.- Lydia
- No, you didn't. You made the move that you thought was right for you to make. It's not a big deal. I'm sure something will work out. You can never predict Survivor.- Taylor
- I just want to quit- Lydia
- You really don't want to quit. Things have taken a turn for the worse right now, but you don't actually want to quit. You're just upset, and when you're upset, you aren't always thinking clearly. I know that you have what it takes to get through this, and I have an idea. You and Beth could vote with us to get Izzy out of the game! I know that you were originally targeting Ruby, but maybe you can hold off your planning for one more Tribal Council.- Taylor
- I'll have to think about it, but your pep talk really helped. Thanks, Taylor.- Lydia
- Anytime.- Taylor
|“||I genuinely feel bad for Lydia. She's in a tricky spot right now, and it's a good thing I was able to console her. Otherwise, she might have quit the game. And that would've ruined any chance I have to make it to the merge.||”|
Regan had gathered the Sweetheart Alliance together, including its two affiliates, together on the beach.
- OK, so if we lose immunity, Joel is going home.- Regan
- It will be Joel this time, right?- Abbie
- Yes.- Regan
- Because last time, you forgot to tell me, and I don't want to be left out of the loop again.- Abbie
- We'll tell you if any changes occur. Now, moving on.- Regan
|“||I'm still debating about taking Abbie to end so I can win the game, because face it, she's annoying. Nobody except for Holly would vote for her. But now, I'm not so sure if I can take her incessant paranoia. It's giving me a migraine!||”|
–Regan (on Abbie)
- Ida, I noticed that you were talking to Rodger and Joel. What about?- Regan
- Um, they approached me about voting with them. But I'm obviously not going to vote with them.- Ida
|“||Truthfully, I'm still thinking about Rodger and Joel's plan. It's a good one. We'll get rid of Abbie, an annoying nuisance. But Regan would be really angry. Regan is like a barracuda when she doesn't get her way. If she doesn't get what she wants, she will make your life horrible.||”|
|“||Brenden makes me want to scream. I'm not kidding. He's an idiot, plain and simple. Brenden, if you're watching, please stop saying, "I'm confused..." Because, you need to have a brain to be confused.||”|
–Ida (on Brenden's stupidity)
- With what?- Regan
- Who are we voting out, Joel or Abbie?- Brenden
- Wait, you're voting me out?!- Abbie
- (to Abbie) No! (To Brenden) We're voting out Joel.- Regan
- 'K.- Brenden
When the alliance finished talking, Rodger and Joel signaled to Ida to come over. Sighing, she walked over to them.
- Yes?- Ida
- Want us to talk to Harvey about voting out Abbie?- Rodger
- What, you can't wait for me to talk to him?- Ida
- No, we can't. (Ida shoots him a dirty look) Sorry, but it's true.- Joel
- Well, we need one more person, anyway... And I'm not sure if I even want to work with you guys.- Ida
- If we have the numbers, will you work with us?- Rodger
- I'm not sure... Regan has an idol.- Ida
- What?- Joel
- She showed her idol to Brenden, Harvey, and me.- Ida
|“||I've learned some information about the opposing alliance. I will use this to help Joel and me make it to the end. Louie, Chloe, you'll have your revenge! The Sweetheart Alliance is gonna go down!||”|
Nothing interesting was filmed on Day 11.
When Jeff took back the immunity talismen and replaced it with two immunity necklaces, more than one castaway was surprised.
- We're not merged already, are we?- Holly
- Nope. This time, you're competing for individual immunity. Both tribes will be going to Tribal Council tonight.- Jeff Probst
- This is bad.- Ida
The tribes flipped a coin to see which tribe would go first in the challenge. Bananier won the coin toss, so they got to go first.
|Immunity/Reward Challenge: Rope-a-Dope|
After Luke won individual immunity, the Goyaves tribe did the challenge as well.
|Immunity/Reward Challenge: Rope-a-Dope|
Luke and Rodger faced off for reward.
|Immunity/Reward Challenge: Rope-a-Dope|
|“||We lost the reward challenge, we need to vote someone off tonight, and there's been so much bickering going on. Camp morale is at an all-time low right now.||”|
Luke, Izzy, Adam, and Ryan were plotting.
- It's obvious Ruby's going home.- Ryan
- But what if Beth, Lydia, and the younger guys band together and send one of us home?- Izzy
- Then we're screwed.- Ryan
- No (bleep), Sherlock. But what should we do?- Izzy
- Maybe we can convince Dallas to vote for Ruby.- Adam
- Why would Dallas vote for Ruby? They're friends.- Luke
- The kid looks like he'll do anything to further himself in the game. He couldn't care less about allies, as long as he makes it to that merge.- Adam
- It's worth a shot. I'll talk to him.- Luke
Meanwhile, Lydia and Beth were discussing which way to vote.
- Beth, do you think it's one of us going home tonight?- Lydia
- They'd never get rid of us before Ruby.- Beth
- Are you sure?- Lydia
- Positive. Izzy and Luke are controlling everything over there, and they'd never get rid of a strong challenge competitor before a weak link.- Beth
- But who do we vote out?- Lydia
- We could always go along with whatever Taylor and the others are planning.- Beth
- OK. Let's see who they're voting for- Lydia
Luke was attempting to convince Dallas about voting for Ruby. Luke explained how this would possibly further Dallas in the game. Dallas maintained a disinterested poker face, but on the inside his mind was spinning.
|“||I'm not sure if I want to vote for Ruby, because if the move somehow backfires, then I'd be in huge trouble. But at the same time, it might be worth the risk if it means bettering my position in the game.||”|
Rodger had a plan.
|“||I need to shake things up if I want Joel and me to make it out of this alive.||”|
First, he went to Abbie and Holly to complete Phase One.
- Hey, guys, do you think Regan's going to play her idol tonight?- Rodger
- Regan doesn't have an idol.- Abbie
- Well, she showed her idol to me.- Rodger
- What idol, Rodger? Regan doesn't have an idol. She would have showed it to us.- Holly
- Yeah, why would Regan show you the idol and not us?- Abbie
- I guess she doesn't trust you.- Rodger
- Yeah, right. You're obviously desperate to save yourself and Joel. Well, guess what? We can see right through your lies.- Holly
- I'm just telling you guys. We're voting for Regan tonight. I recommend you join us before she dumps you.- Rodger
As Rodger walked away with a smug grin on his face, he heard Abbie say to Holly, "Do you think Regan's voting for one of us tonight?" Rodger could barely contain his glee as he went over to Ida to ask her to complete Phase Two.
- Ida, I need you to tell Regan that Abbie was talking behind her back about voting her out.- Rodger
- Why me?- Ida
- Because she trusts you.- Rodger
- But-- Ida
- Please!- Rodger
- ...OK.- Ida
Ida quickly realized that she would have no say in the matter of who went home.
|“||I'm realizing right now that I've been a servant to the people in charge for my whole game so far. "Ida, go tell so-and-so this." "Ida, vote for this person." Well, guess what? I'm getting sick and tired of people thinking that they can just use me as their extra vote. I'm going to make a statement, and pick the move that's best for me, not based on what my alliance wants me to do.||”|
The Goyaves tribe attended Tribal Council first, where Jeff grilled them.
- Abbie, it was obvious from the start that the tribe was not one big happy family. Do you guys still have difficulties living with each other?- Jeff Probst
- Yeah, there's a lot of friction. Joel and I hate each other, and Regan apparently has an immunity idol that she forgot to tell Holly and me about.- Abbie
- What? Abbie, who told you that? You're insane if you think I have an idol.- Regan
- Abbie is not insane.- Holly
- Yeah she is. Always paranoid, freaking out at minor slip-ups, she's totally wacko.- Harvey
- I know what I'm talking about. Rodger told me that you had an idol and that you were probably going to vote Holly and me out sometime in the near future.- Abbie
- Rodger, Joel, stop telling lies about me!- Regan
- They're not lies. I know you have an idol because Ida told me you did!- Joel
- What?! Ida!- Regan
- Joel!- Ida
- OK, I guess it is time to vote. Rodger is immune, everyone else is fair game. Regan, you're up first.- Jeff Probst
|“||If anyone has a Hidden Immunity Idol, now would be the time to play it. (No one stands) OK, I'll read the votes. Joel. Abbie. Regan. Regan. Joel. Joel. Abbie. Fourth person voted off of Survivor: Guadeloupe... Joel.||”|
Before leaving, Joel turned around and angrily glared at Ida. Ida gave him a little wave as she mouthed the word, "Sorry."
|Tribal Council 4:|
Joel (4 votes)
Regan, Brenden, Ida, Harvey
Regan (2 votes)
|“||Joel, I can't vote out Rodger tonight, but don't worry, he'll be joining you very soon.||”|
|“||Regan, I thought I could trust you, but now I'm aware that I can't. Stay far away from me.||”|
|“||I'd much rather vote for Abbie the Nut, but Joel, you've gotta go home.||”|
|“||I hope you understand that I don't trust you anymore.||”|
|“||Ida and Harvey need to vote for you tonight. Bye.||”|
|“||Joel, I've come to realize that I don't like you at all. Good luck finding someone who won't turn into stone at the sight of you.||”|
|“||I hope I spelled your name right.||”|
|“||You're a wacky, insane, freakishly paranoid nut-job. Please go to a mental institution ASAP.||”|
|“||Apparently, I was put on the Idiots Tribe. You all just voted off your strongest player, and kept the wacko. Abbie, Regan, and Ida, I hope to never see you again. Rodger, I need you to win the million, OK?||”|
- Luke, the last vote was crazy. Do you think this one will be any crazier?- Jeff Probst
- Definitely. Sparks are gonna fly.- Luke
- Taylor, do you think you're in danger tonight?- Jeff Probst
- I don't believe so, but usually when you don't expect to go home, that's when you end up going home.- Taylor
- Dallas, do you have any idea how the vote will turn out?- Jeff Probst
- Let's just say someone will be very surprised.- Dallas
- OK, it is time to vote. You can't vote for Luke, everyone else is fair game. Dallas, you're first.- Jeff Probst
|“||If anybody has a hidden immunity idol, now would be the time to play it. (No one stands) Once the votes are read, the decision is final. The person voted out will be asked to leave the Tribal Council area immediately. I'll read the votes. Izzy. Ruby. Izzy. Izzy. Ruby. Ruby. Ruby. Izzy. Four votes Ruby, four votes Izzy. Fifth person voted out of Survivor: Guadeloupe is... Ruby. Ruby, I need you to bring me your torch.||”|
Dallas was correct about one thing: People were very surprised. Ruby was surprised, Taylor was surprised, Lydia was surprised, Beth was surprised. And Dallas watched the whole thing with a smug look on his face, because he had furthered himself in the game.
|Tribal Council 5:|
Izzy (4 votes)
Taylor, Lydia, Beth, Ruby
Ruby (5 votes)
Dallas, Luke, Izzy, Ryan, Adam
|“||Izzy, I think that our friendship is officially over. Enjoy losing.||”|
|“||I think you lost your brain on the plane ride to Guadeloupe. Go to the Lost and Found to see if an airport has found a missing brain.||”|
|“||No hard feelings, Ruby. I just need to further myself in the game.||”|
|“||I thought we could possibly go to the end, but I guess that isn't meant to be. For what it's worth, I'm sorry I had to do this.||”|
|“||I really hope it's your torch getting put out.||”|
|“||Izzy, it looked like you'd go far into the game, but it looks like that won't happen. Best of luck to you.||”|
|“||I can't handle your stupidity.||”|
|“||I'm voting for you because you don't like me.||”|
|“||Ruby, I hope you realize that Survivor is not a place for beauty queens.||”|
|“||Oh my God, I wasn't expecting that. I thought that Izzy would go home and she didn't. I think Dallas switched his vote to me, but I don't mind. He did me a favor. I was starting to smell and I seriously needed some deodorant.||”|
Still in the Running
Next Time on Survivor...
- Someone on Bananier finds an idol.
|“||This is how I will remain safe in the game.||”|
- Taylor has a few choice words to say.
|“||What Dallas pulled was so (bleep)ing horrible. I mean, what the (bleep) was that? I want Dallas gone now. Our "friendship" if you can even call it that, is over.||”|
- And The Sweetheart Alliance is in shambles.
|“||I don't trust Regan anymore. I want her gone.||”|
|“||Abbie is still a nutcase, so nothing's changed, except for the fact that my annoyance towards her has increased considerably.||”|
|“||Brenden is dumber than a sack of potatoes.||”|
|“||Harvey can be extremely rude. Regan and him are close... Too close for my liking...||”|